Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Amy Tan: Where does creativity hide?



This TED talk has a lot of very profound points. I loved Amy Tan's The Joyluck Club, and although I haven't read any of her other books, she definitely rocks. I think her talk on creativity is analyzed from a deeper and, arguably, a more practical perspective than Elizabeth Gilbert. Of course, Gilbert is definitely an entertainer. Amy Tan connected it to her personal life more and the her thought process as well as the questions she poses are very interesting. 


I definitely think there are overlapping points with both of them concerning the 'randomness' of the creative process. 


She mentions that she does not believe in absolute truths. I disagree only because I believe in God as an absolute truth. But, I think everyone should ask themselves questions about their existence, because questions help us learn and discover. It just is that all my questions have been answered by religion/spirituality. I do think it would be awful if it was only just this life, that there is no promise of something better that awaits us. I wonder how I would feel if I thought the good would not be rewarded for good, nor the bad for bad. And that life is what it is and you only get what you were alloted in life. That would suck.


But, back to creativity, randomness may explain why not everyone has it, or God's Will, or maybe it is that some people just try harder and work at it...and they eventually are rewarded their efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment